BEST BOOKS FOR GRE VERBAL
The Graduate Record Examination is divided into three sections namely the Analytical Writing Section, the Verbal Reasoning Section and the Quantitative Reasoning Section giving the test a duration close to 4 hours. Among the three sections, Verbal Reasoning Section is considered to be the most formidable, requiring more practice and hard work. A high score in this section reflects the student's command over the English language and his ability to understand and communicate effectively. To achieve this goal, one has to put in a lot of effort into preparation, and the best training comes from choosing the best preparative materials.
Best Preparative Books To ACE the GRE Verbal Section:
GRE Manhattan or Magoosh?
- GRUBER'S COMPLETE GRE GUIDE: The most obvious way to start your journey into the GRE Preparation world is through this book. It is highly recommended for people who are starting from scratch and are considering self-preparation. This book outlines the GRE Test format and serves as an essential introduction to the Verbal Section and the types of questions asked in each of its sub-sections. It supplies the Baby GRE words and is the best way to begin the preparation.
- NORMAN LEWIS WORD POWER MADE EASY: The next step involves targeting and perfecting your Vocabulary, and this is just the book for that task. This book is based on the etymology of the words. Every word comes from a parent word and having this etymological knowledge will help you make intelligent guesses regarding words that appear unfamiliar in the test. It is a shortcut to perfecting your Vocabulary and once the etymology is understood it will be easier to learn new words.
- ETS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE REVISED GRE GENERAL TEST: This book is the ultimate God for GRE Preparation because it is published by the test creators themselves. The difficulty level of the questions is very similar to the actual GRE.
- BARRON'S NEW GRE GUIDE: This is the best and the most frequently used book for GRE Preparation. It is extremely popular due to its 3500+ Wordlist with relevant examples and its 333 High-Frequency Words. This book also has highly competitive Text Completion questions and many strategies for perfecting Reading Comprehensions and Sentence Equivalence questions.
- BARRON'S ESSENTIAL WORDS FOR THE GRE: This book can also be used along with the Barron's to prepare for the Test. It concentrates on the questions and words that are frequently observed in the GRE Verbal Section. It is more recommended for people who have to crack the GRE within a short span of time.
- KAPLAN'S NEW GRE GUIDE: Another book which when coupled with Barron's yields the best results due to the ease in understanding the different sections and a large number of practice questions.
- KAPLAN'S GRE VERBAL WORKBOOK: If Practice makes a man perfect this book is the key to it. When it comes to practice, this book provides the more difficult questions and a large number of test questions in each section.
- MANHATTAN GRE GUIDE: These publishers offer separate books on every Section of the GRE Verbal such as Reading Comprehension and Sentence Completion. Each book concentrates on one particular section, so more the elaboration along with more practice question leads to a better understanding. Additionally, these books tend to have questions which are tougher than normal, if you score high in the practice tests present, you will score better in the real
- NOVA'S GRE AND MC. GRAW HILL'S NEW GRE: These books are useful only because of the practice tests they provide.
ADDITIONAL PREPARATIVE MATERIALS:
- Along with books, flashcards are also available such as Kaplan's Flashcards or Barron's Flashcards which can be used to improve the Vocabulary on the go while you
- There are many online websites and forums which offer a variety of practice questions and also publish the recent questions that appeared in the Test.
- Hard work, Practice, and Preparation with the right material will help you score a 155+ in the GRE Verbal Section.