>> Tests & Exam
HOW TO ACE THE GRE ISSUE ESSAY
Good communication is a sign of a highly organized mind. The GRE Issue Essay tests the ability of the student to think on spot and organize his thoughts in a manner that could be communicated effectively through words. It also examines sentence forming capabilities, grammatical competency and the command over the English language.
GRE ISSUE ESSAY - A GLIMPSE:
- The GRE Issue Essay is put forth as a statement or a pair of statements which require no specific knowledge and is based on your perception, views and opinions about the given topic.
- The topic is always controversial with two sides to it, one for and one against it.
- There is no "correct side". You opt for the side which you feel you could do justice to.
- The time allotted for this section is 30 minutes and it is scored on a scale of 6.
TIPS TO ACE THE GRE ISSUE ESSAY:
The GRE Issue Essay requires a lot of practice and preparation on published topics before taking the test. Other than practice timing is extremely important and the following should be performed in the allotted time for a high score:
- You should first understand the given issue topic completely (2 minutes).
- Next you play the Devil's advocate. Using a scratch paper, you should start formulating points both for and against the topic (2 minutes).
- Choose the side which appeals more to you and which you can present more clearly (1 minute).
- Brainstorm examples supporting your claim (5 Develop an outline according to a standard format such as one paragraph for the introduction, one paragraph for the conclusion and 3-4 body paragraphs (5 minutes).
- Write the essay by briefly summarizing your side and the reason for your choice and then announce the main points supporting your claim with the relevant examples checking for the logical connectivity throughout (10 minutes).
- Proof-read it to minimize errors and grammatical mistakes (5 minutes).
If you do the above perfectly, you will finish the issue essay well within the time limit.
DO'S IN THE GRE ISSUE ESSAY:
- Introduction is always one of the most important sections in an essay. Provide a captivating introduction which acquaints the readers with the side that you are choosing to explain and the reason for your choice is the beginning of a perfect
- Construct the essay in a clear and concise manner with logical connectivity among the paragraphs.
- Use strong points that establish your opinions and specific, relevant examples which reinforce that establishment.
- Always keep an eye open for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
- In the conclusion write a line or two in support of the other opposing view; this shows emotional and intellectual maturity, will result in a more favorable view of your essay by the corrector.
- Practice, practice and more practice is the only key to success. A minimum of three practice essays are required to just get the feel of this section. More practice would help in perfecting your writing skills and timing skills.
DO NOT'S IN THE GRE ISSUE ESSAY:
- Never waver from the points that you are making. This will give an impression that you are confused and unsure of what you are talking about.
- Choose the side that you are going to support carefully and stick to it. Do not keep jumping from side to side or try having it both ways as it will lead to lack of clarity and time.
- Never give generalized examples or use first person pronouns unless you are quoting a personal experience as an example.
These tips hand in hand with continuous practice and dedication will definitely help you score a perfect six in this section.
GRE Analytical Writing